Monday, January 12, 2009

Second Life

What a world...!

After a discussion concerning Second Life (leading to Chris Marker - see previous post) I have embarked on my own 2nd Life.

First you build an avatar - a 3-dimensional representation of yourself. You can pretty much be anything and if you know how, you can insert your own creation.

Then you enter the world. It is a 3D fantasy land chock full of advertisements. The ads range from things such as rules, things to buy and places to go. Rules cover etiquette and transactions. Purchases range from personal items (for your avatar), to upgrades (code written by experienced engineers or 2nd Lifers), to land.
Currency: for about $2.50 USD you get over $500 2nd Life currency (I forget what it is called at the moment).

So you can either participate in the 2nd Life economy or simply, as I am doing, tarvel to the created places. There are parties to attend and you can make your avatar dance. Transport to different location is done by teleportation. You may also walk or fly (like superman).
I also found a medieval place where you can participate in adventures like the Dungeons and Dragons role playing game. (Funny note: I showed up and started to get ready to enter - you have to be dressed properly and you have to add a plug-in to your avatar - and I was soliciting help from another person who proceeded to inform me that my avatar was dancing. I didn't know it. I had been dancing since the party I attended. I think my avatar blushed.)

Architecturally, anything goes. I've never used the software program Maya, but I think that anything you can create in Maya, you can create for 2nd Life. So far much that I've seen mirror 1st Life (our real world). Even though you can fly there are steps. Windows. Roads, though I have yet to see a vehicle. Column. Molding. Etc.... I have also seen a few things that are otherworldly. One's imagination (and the software) is the only limit.
I will upload some images soon.

I will continue to explore. If I go missing for while, please come rescue me from my 2nd life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment